Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Sums

After buying shoes, and arguing about snacks, while walking through the centre of town, Linnea to me: "Two and five is seven, Mum."

Me: Yes.
Linnea: And three and four is seven.
Me: Yes.
Linnea: And six and one, that's seven too.
Me: Yes, it is. Six and one is seven.


Much later, I realised that this adding up to a number in lots of different ways is something I've seen mentioned in books and magazines as a stage in learning maths. Which is fine.

I'm not sure which stage it is.

But at least now I know she's learning something I can call maths when people ask.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The 'proper' name for it is number bonds. Tell people that and they will be bowled over at your educational prowess ;-)

I seem to remember mine learning number bonds of 10 in year one at school, if that is a frame of reference you are interested in.

Ailbhe said...

I could look it up, I suppose, but is year one the first year of school, ie age 5-ish?

Anonymous said...

Year One is the second year of school, age 5-6. Reception is where my youngest is now, age 4-5. Reception follows the Early Years Curriculum and Year One is the first year of the National Curriculum.

Anonymous said...

That's number bonds how cool :) They start on number 10 in Year One, as that's easiest, as we have 10 fingers. They just do doubling, adding one, taking away one, sorting, measuring, using number lines etc in Reception. It depends on the ability too, as they are streamed & the top table will do more complicated stuff. They have an hour's maths each day as part of the NC.

Popular Posts